RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA

Keep hate out of the world's beautiful game.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'The Legacy of Brendan Burke'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lulu

Lulu

'The Legacy of Brendan Burke' Empty
PostSubject: 'The Legacy of Brendan Burke'   'The Legacy of Brendan Burke' EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 8:04 pm

The Canadian TV station CBC broad-casted a documentary today called the 'The Legacy of Brendan Burke'. To summarize, Brendan Burke was an openly gay hockey player from British Columbia, whose father is currently the manager at Toronto Maple Leafs. Brendan came out in the November of 2009. He had told his family about this before making it public, and surprisingly, his father accepted it well. He was an active advocate for tolerance of sexuality, and has the support of his father, who continues what Brendan started.

The documentary also talks about homosexuality in sports in general, including parts about Justing Fashanu, his coming out, reactions to it and its effect in general. It also includes interviews with Gareth Thomas, the Miami University manager, Brendan's teammates, retired gay athletes and many others, talking about things such as the opinion in the teams regarding having a homosexual teammate and their opinions as to why there seems to be no active, openly gay, athletes; what it was like to live in the closet, etc.

Unfortunately, the documentary ends on a tragic note: Brendan died in a car accident on February 5, 2010 in Economy, Indiana.

I'm trying to find a working video of it, but for some reason my computer can't play videos right now, so I have way of testing links out.

Here's the one from the CBC website:
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2010-2011/thelegacyofbrendanburke/

There's also some additional information on the right-hand bar. I'm hoping the video works and someone can write a better summary of it.
Back to top Go down

'The Legacy of Brendan Burke'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA :: DISCUSSIONS / NEWS ABOUT... :: Homophobia In Football/Sports-
Jump to: