RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA

Keep hate out of the world's beautiful game.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Football vs Rugby

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Some months ago Welsh rugby player Gareth Thomas had is public coming-out. And what happened in this world full of testosterone? Some reports. Some discussions. Done. It's more-less past history now.

In your opinion: Why is rugby more open-minded in case of homosexuality than football? Just because of less media interest?
Back to top Go down
http://redcardhomophobia.forumpro.org
SweetEcstasy

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 am

I don't think it's exactly that rugby is less popular, but rather the way most rugby players present themselves as. I remember, reading in Australia that a rugby player called David Williams was seen kissing a man and the news read "David Williams not so manly." So, even rugby can have some homophobia thrown at it.

I think, a great deal of how Rugby is perceived is how the players present themselves. They aren't afraid to embrace things that are associated with homosexuality. They pose nude for calendars in rather provocative poses, often do very silly flamboyant things, and other similar activities. It's seen as very friendly to the gay community for those reasons.

I feel a lot of football players rather distance themselves from anything remotely dealing with homosexuality. You are able to see that some players do not handle it with class. There are players like Iker Casillas, Yoann Gourcuff, and Freddie Ljungberg who speak about homosexuality with respect. Others like Fabio Cannavarro and Zlatan Ibrahimovic make it feel like a great insult. I'm not saying they should go naked for a gay magazine or charity calendar like some rugby players do, but we definitely need their support to create acceptance. Something along the line of what Phillip Lahm does, but we need more major players to join.

I feel players play a great vital role in how things are perceived. They stood up against racism, and it has made great progress. It's time they stood up against homophobia.
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby EmptyWed Oct 06, 2010 1:42 am

You're quite right by saying that "a great deal of how Rugby is perceived is how the players present themselves" and also that "a lot of football players rather distance themselves from anything remotely dealing with homosexuality". The question is: Why? Why it is so different? Why do footballers dislike to be connected with homosexuality more as rugby players do? I'm pretty sure rugby knows homophobic behaviour in some ways too as we know from Gareth Thomas after he came out. But I guess more-less in the same "normal" extent like in all areas of the society - unfortunately. Perhaps it is in connection with the fact that football is much more influenced by the media as rugby. Rugby might be a sport with many many fans, but I believe still less than in football (worldwide speaking). Players do not live under a rock obviously. Some might just think of their own reputation. Some simply might be afraid what the media and/or fans will say/do. Suspicion is already enough to make their lives a living hell. Examples for it exist. And to be honest, as much I admire Lahm's acting, in my opinion Germany isn't the hardest country to support homosexuality in football. Our press here is less aggressive as in England for example. They bark a lot, but rarely bite. I'm a fan of British football so I read a lot of British press and they DO BITE, often they even maul players for less than showing support for gay players. Lahm and all the other players are brave without any doubt. Just not all players are brave enough to show civil courage. They are humans like we are and not all of us are courageous too to stand up when we see injustice. We might like it or not, but this is as matters stand. So we have to ask what's needed to support players' courage - to stand up for homosexual team-mates as well as to come out (if they want). Perhaps in rugby they have a slightly different climate of confidence so it it at least easier to solidarise with the cause. I support the RCH idea because of this. I don't want to change people's dumb opinion about homosexuality. And I can't. Some are unteachable - fans and players. But I believe that there are more fans who have no problems with gay players as fans who have. I want players to realise, to apperceive it so I speak up. I want to show to the media that I do not accept the way they make money with homophobic stories and dirty revelations. I believe that I can be a part of people who create a climate of confidence for players so finally they do not feel oppressed by some idiots, but carried by many. Then perhaps they will start to be brave enough for civil courage. Rugby might have that climate already - at least more than football.

Phew, sorry... I should stop listening to the sort of music I listen to right now. I always drift away a bit then, plus my English becomes even more horrible as it already is Laughing
Back to top Go down
jowlia

jowlia

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 11:20 am

maybe the question isnt why rugby is more open minded, but whether it IS, really, more open minded. who knows what would happen if a soccer player came out. Rugby players pose for calendars in provocative poses? There have been 2 or 3 straight soccer players who have posed for gay magazines.

sure, the only gay soccer player committed suicide.. but .. well, first, it was a long time ago. Not only was he gay, he was also black, in a time when being a black player was enough to get scorned... times have changed... if a player came out, who's to say the reaction wouldnt be the same as it was with the rugby player?

idk, im just saying the first thing that came to mind..
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 12:24 pm

I can't talk about rugby as it's not my sport. I just heard by an aquaintance of mine (who loves rugby) long ago, that rugby is more open-minded in general (... but of course there are obvious exceptions). All I know is that there is a reason why gay footballers are afraid to come out even nowadays and I'm quite sure that the media hype in football would be much more staggering as it was when Garteh Thomas had his coming out. It's quite funny for me to see how the press and the media in general report about fans opinions in case of homophobia and gay players saying that the main part of fans has no problems with gay players. But at the same time it's the media which longs for the first coming out so they can sell the story. Not sure, but perhaps the expected voyeurism of the media with private (sex) stories is one of the main reason for players to be afraid of coming out. Yes, some fans might abuse gay players, but these idiots abuse players for being black, being from the wrong club, being a former player of their club and even for their accent (as some Irish fans do in case of Kevin Kilbane for example who is Irish because of his parents, but grew up in England). So it's almost normal for players to get abuse from fans (although it's inacceptable of course). But whom of them wants to risk a media storm? Yes, rugby might not be more open-minded, but at least there is less GENERAL public interest and so less media interest, I think.
Back to top Go down
nzcz

nzcz

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 12:26 am

I'd love for an op-ed to be written about this, the differences between football and rugby. Why Gareth Thomas can come out to much applause, but there are no open footballers.

email redcardhomophobia[at]gmail[dot]com if you're interested. you don't have to be an extra, i think an open op-ed would be good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/natalinko_
Sponsored content

Football vs Rugby Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football vs Rugby   Football vs Rugby Empty

Back to top Go down

Football vs Rugby
Page 1 of 1