RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
RED CARD HOMOPHOBIA

Keep hate out of the world's beautiful game.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
nzcz

nzcz

Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president Empty
PostSubject: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Croatian gay and lesbian associations have condemned Croatian Football Federation president Vlatko Markovic after he said there was no place for homosexuals in the national team.

"While I'm a president of the Croatian Football Federation, there will be no homosexuals playing in the national team", Vlatko Markovic said in an interview with Croatian national daily Vecernji List.

Asked whether in his career he has met a homosexual footballer, he has replied:

"Luckily, only normal people play football".

Gay and lesbian associations have informed the Croatian media that they will sue the Football Federation President for discrimination. They also intend to report Vlatko Markovic to UEFA.

The Croatian national football team is in the top ten of the FIFA world ranking.

source.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/natalinko_
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I say it here again (as before in the comm): TIME TO ACT! Time for an e-mail spamming appeal towards the Croatian Football Federation with a clear and simple message like "Shame!" or "Homopobia is unacceptable" - from each member of RCH at an agreed day at around the same time.
Back to top Go down
clarity

clarity

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:00 pm

good idea, i'm in.
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm not surprised Smile

We will write to UEFA too as Markovic's words are an offence against the RESPECT campaign too. UEFA MUST act! At the moment we try to find someone who can translate at least some words into Croatian. For those who aren't members of the LJ comm I will write a newsletter about our action as soon as there are more informations how to handle it in the best way.
Back to top Go down
clarity

clarity

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm

why would you be Wink

Yep, we need to show that news like that reach people and make us mad enough to not let it rest.
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Any idea what short message we can send to that moron?
Back to top Go down
schnubbelie

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 6:18 pm

teetrinker wrote:
Any idea what short message we can send to that moron?

I have stuff like "go play with sharp objects" on my mind right now, but you mean something slightly more polite, right?
I read over at the LJ comm that translations are already being prepared?

It always amazes me (and not in a good way!) that, in 2010, people that hold official positions in European organizations can actually say something as discriminatory without fearing that... I don't know, I'm shocked that he said this (and said it this bluntly) at all. But then I don't know much about the current situation in the Balkan states.

And UEFA president Platini was in the country just a few days ago. They probably even talked about the "Respect" campaign. WTF?!
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 pm

schnubbelie wrote:
but you mean something slightly more polite, right?
Slightly, yes. But just a bit Wink

schnubbelie wrote:
I read over at the LJ comm that translations are already being prepared?
I sent a message to a Croatian member. I hope she/he will anser soon. Don't know. Do you have any Croatian contacts who can translate it too?

schnubbelie wrote:
It always amazes me (and not in a good way!) that, in 2010, people that hold official positions in European organizations can actually say something as discriminatory without fearing that... I don't know, I'm shocked that he said this (and said it this bluntly) at all. But then I don't know much about the current situation in the Balkan states.
I think, no matter what situation they have in any country, they are members of the UEFA/FIFA as well so they have to follow the rules of UEFA/FIFA. Someone said to change the situation in football, you have to change the sociaty. For me this is destructive nonsense. Football, especially in Europe, is part of the sociaty and even if you can't change the minds of some people, you have to show at least, that you don't accept it. There are laws above all country laws. European laws, Human Rights Laws, and in case of football the laws of UEFA and FIFA (not to mention moral laws). Countries might not like it, but this is how it is. When you violate a law, you have to be punished, no matter if the sociaty understands or not. Simple as that.

schnubbelie wrote:
And UEFA president Platini was in the country just a few days ago. They probably even talked about the "Respect" campaign. WTF?!

I'm not a huge fan of UEFA and the way act in many cases. But when they do not act now, they will bring the organisation and the RESPECT campaign into ridicule.
Back to top Go down
clarity

clarity

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:05 pm

It's not a complete message, but why not include "RESPECT!" in the message. The word and somthing like that the Dark Ages are over or something along these lines.

UEFA = international => international laws independant of regional laws.
As you said, everyone in UEFA has agreed to its laws and has to follow them.

Depending on what the reaction is, we could send our message several times.
e.g. if nobody replies after a week, which I don't hope, we do it all again.
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 pm

This is what we want to translate and send to Mr Markovic:

"Dear President Markovic,

Homophobia in any form is objectionable and directly opposed to the RESPECT campaign fostered by UEFA. Your statements and discriminatory bans are unacceptable and as a member of Red Card Homophobia, I urge you to ensure all high-quality players can play for Croatia."

And this for Mr Platini:

"Dear President Platini,

I am writing to you to express concern about the recent comments of Vlatko Markovic, President of the Croatia Football Federation against homosexuals. Discriminatory statements and player bans on the basis of sexuality are unacceptable and directly opposed to the RESPECT campaign fostered by UEFA. I urge you to take action in this situation to ensure all high-quality football players will be able to play for Croatia."

Not sure if they really write back. FIFA never did when I protested by mail against Henry's handball goal vs Ireland decision. But hey, at least I can go to bed and know that I expressed my thought clearly. And action weeks in general are a good idea.
Back to top Go down
clarity

clarity

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

great Smile

I recently heard about how the FIFA got spammed by people for the Henry decision Wink
The decision wasn't repealed but they are aware now that fans will prostest.
That's a start, I'd say.
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 7:55 pm

These old guys of UEFA and FIFA thought for too long that fans not more than a spineless mass of crowds which pays for tickets to see some football and that's it. We have to show them that times are changing (even though Bob Dylan said it already many years ago Wink )
Back to top Go down
schnubbelie

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 4:29 am

teetrinker wrote:

I sent a message to a Croatian member. I hope she/he will anser soon. Don't know. Do you have any Croatian contacts who can translate it too?

Is "angelicmercy" the LJ member you contacted? If not, he/she might also be able to help (made a comment on the LJ topic that he/she is from Croatia).
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 6:10 am

schnubbelie wrote:
Is "angelicmercy" the LJ member you contacted? If not, he/she might also be able to help (made a comment on the LJ topic that he/she is from Croatia).
Yes, I contacted her and she wrote back already. Action can start soon Smile
Back to top Go down
Lulu

Lulu

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 1:47 pm

This is shocking. He is the president of the football federation for a COUNTRY for goodness sake... *speechless*
Back to top Go down
teetrinker
Admin
teetrinker

PostSubject: Re: Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president   Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president EmptyTue Nov 09, 2010 2:47 pm

The campaign started now. More informations you can find here.
Back to top Go down

Homosexuals banned from Croatian national team, says football federation president
Page 1 of 1